History and Design
Station 1 is in the heart of historic downtown Parkville on land that was donated by Park College at First St. & Highway 9, located at 8799 NW Riverpark Drive. This fire station at this location was originally constructed in 1948 in the heart of downtown Parkville.
The original firehouse was built in 1948 and used until the flood of 1993. The Great ’93 flood destroyed most of downtown Parkville, and the station had to be condemned and demolished in 1999. A new two-story block station was then designed, learning from that event, minimizing damage if the Missouri River once again left its banks. As well as a little bit design of old character to remain, such as an “old fashion” fire pole in the stair tower allowing firefighters to quickly respond to alarms. In 2000, the current station was completed, with all living quarters elevated to the second floor and no fixed facilities in the bay to protect assets and equipment.
Early historical primary fire apparatus to handle emergencies for this station’s response area started with Engine 1, and then came the addition of Pumper 21. In 2008, the District partnered with Kansas City Fire Department Communications Center for dispatching and changed the assigned number to Pumper 61. With its proximity to the Missouri River, Pumper 61 personnel are specialized & equipped for water rescue responses.
Historically, the district has had some form of fire protection since the 1880’s. But as of the incorporation of the Fire District in 1948, the firefighters were all volunteer until 2005. In 2004, the district successfully passed a tax increase with the support of the voters, which allowed for the hiring of nine firefighters and the permanent staffing of career firefighters for Station 1. Station 1’s trained personnel proudly serves this diverse & growing population for the oldest and southernmost area of the district.